Breath Ignited

I have passed these marbled, garbled hallways
so my shoulders graze the pallid walkways
all the while watching days and days
dither to a soundless wail.

The night upon me’s overcrowding;
the moon above is light abounding,
The wind’s blowing a resounding
whisper straight from the bowels of Hell.

I thought I might be quickly losing
all manner of my mindful choosing
and slinking back the acrid boozing
shadows of the dell,

when at once came a knocking,
a swiftly rapping, grain-fed socking,
scratching at the tender backing
of my gently nodding skull.

It was a subtle reminder of the end of it my dear,
the indubitable end of the line I feared,
it would be the last time that I neared
the confusion in the water wells.

My legacy was no longer wanted,
the land my fathers bore was haunted
with my bequested chivalry undaunted
and I turned on my liquid heels.

I turned to wave a goodbye goodnighted,
the final prayer unrequited.
With all the wanting, sifting slighted,
my final breath is breath ignited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creativity, and the Pursuit of Happiness

One Cup at a Time

Aren't We All, Cont'd