An Aside

So, we (my wife and I) found out we are expecting a little bambino in March. I haven't said much about expecting a kid yet because I've been at a loss for words. So here goes nothing:

1) My wife is amazing. Brewing inside of her right now is a person, a person who will one day walk and talk, who will make friends and lose friends, who will have to make tough choices like whether or not to fall in love or stay home instead of walking the dogs. My wife is going through changes that would make me break down and cry. Daily. And yet, she smiles and laughs ...and is still ticklish. She's amazing.

2) I'm going to be a father, which I still can't wrap my head around. In 4 months, my child will be swaddled in my arms sleeping, pooping, eating, and then doing it all over again. I'm going to be pretending a spoon is an airplane. I'm going to be throwing a ball to expecting hands. I'm going to be giving the "birds and bees" conversation, yanking on the emergency break, talking my child through break ups, and it scares the living shit out of me. But, when all is said and done, I cry for joy. My heart swells with pride and expectation. To be a parent is something I could have never prepared for, but I'm ready.

3) I wish all the excitement and joy in me to all my friends. Jill and I have been blessed with the friendships of the most kind, caring, giving, stunning, beautiful people in our lives. We know that part of the jubilee we feel is knowing that our child will also know all our friends. Our kid will know what true friendship is because he or she will learn it from you, our framily.

4) We can expect a girl. A GIRL! There is nothing that can compare to the monumental anxiety a father can have knowing that he's about to have a girl. But, there's no identifiable amount of joy and happiness that rides right on with it. It's going to be a wild ride, and she's going to be a bad ass. We want to raise a girl who's comfortable with herself, who leads, who knows her mind. That, we know, will be challenging, but I can't think of anything that would make me more proud.

5) I am so excited to be a parent. I know it boils down to chance, and I'm so incredibly grateful for the opportunity.

Seriously, folks. I can't wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creativity, and the Pursuit of Happiness

A short poem dedicated to my daughter in the womb

Poetry, from the walls, and in time...